Replicated volume, one slow brick
Øyvind Krosby
2017-07-13 08:44:09 UTC
I have been trying to figure out how glusterfs-fuse client will handle it
when 1 of 3 bricks in a 3-way replica is slower than the others.

It looks like a glusterfs-fuse client will send requests to all 3 bricks
when accessing a file. But what happens when one of the bricks is not
responding in time?

We saw an issue when we added external load to the raid volume where the
brick was located. The disk became 100% busy, and as a result the
glusterfs-clients hang when they access the volume.

Is there a way to avoid this, and make the clients ask the other two bricks
for the data when one brick is too slow?

Thanks

Øyvind Krosby
SRE, Zedge.net
Ben Turner
2017-07-13 15:22:05 UTC
You won't have 3x copies of data but you could try replica2 + arbiter volume? Other than that I am not sure how to or if its possible to compensate for a slow brick like that.

-b

Pranith Kumar Karampuri
2017-07-15 10:16:51 UTC
Adding gluster-devel

Raghavendra,
I remember we discussing about handling these kinds of errors by
ping-timer expiry? I may have missed the final decision on how this was
decided to be handled. So asking you again ;-)