Op-version 3.6.3 and 3.6.0
Scott Harvanek
2015-07-01 16:42:55 UTC
Scenario-

Gluster bricks running Gluster 3.6.3, RHEL clients running RH provided
gluster 3.6.0.53 ( no way to change this, operating version 30600 I
presume ).

If we create a new cluster can the op-version be set down to 30600 on
the 3.6.3 bricks? - Currently - operating-version=30603 by default.
Scott H.
Atin Mukherjee
2015-07-01 17:16:39 UTC
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scenario-
Gluster bricks running Gluster 3.6.3, RHEL clients running RH provided
gluster 3.6.0.53 ( no way to change this, operating version 30600 I presume
).
We do not encourage to use mix and match of upstream and downstream
versions. IIRC, op-version of 3.6.0.53 must be 30004 (please confirm) which
means client is higher version than server which is again not a recommended
setup.
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Scott Harvanek
2015-07-01 17:19:24 UTC
The client would be the lesser version in this case. Server @ 3.6.3,
Client @ 3.6.0

The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.

Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Atin Mukherjee
2015-07-01 17:25:42 UTC
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Scott Harvanek
2015-07-01 17:29:37 UTC
so 3.6.0.53 isn't going to be opversion 30600 like stated here?
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/OperatingVersions

I'd assume the opver would remain the same even with their patches.

I want the server cluster opversion and the client opversion to match so
certain performance translators can be used, currently 3.6.3 on the
server and 3.6.0.53 on the client blocks performance translators such as
write-behind.

Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage
where you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely
the op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want
to bump down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Niels de Vos
2015-07-01 19:02:07 UTC
Post by Scott Harvanek
so 3.6.0.53 isn't going to be opversion 30600 like stated here?
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/OperatingVersions
I'd assume the opver would remain the same even with their patches.
I want the server cluster opversion and the client opversion to match so
certain performance translators can be used, currently 3.6.3 on the server
and 3.6.0.53 on the client blocks performance translators such as
write-behind.
If you do not use the Red Hat Gluster Storage product, you will not
really get support on the glusterfs-client packages in RHEL either. The
combination of the two versions is just not (well) tested. You are
probably better of to use the community glusterfs client packages for
accessing the Gluster volumes too.

Have you considered this approach? If you want the full support on the
gluster client side, you will need to use the Red Hat Gluster Storage
product on the storage servers. Any difficulties with deploying or
packaging the RHEL/RHGS product combination should get discussed with
your Red Hat support contacts. They should be able to explain how to do
it right, and/or get fixes in an updated version.

Thanks,
Niels
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Scott Harvanek
2015-07-01 19:09:23 UTC
I would if I could but modifying the RHEVH instances seems like a bad
idea....

Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
[...]
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Prasun Gera
2015-07-01 20:21:27 UTC
Related question: What's the best ubuntu client version to use with RHS
servers ? I have a mix of RH and Ubuntu clients, and the ubuntu clients are
on the 3.5 ppa right now. I haven't seen any problems yet, but i would like
to stick to best practices, if there are any. Once RHS 3.1 is rolled out,
which I guess is based on 3.7 upstream, I was planning to upgrade clients
to 3.6 ppa. i.e. I'm following the one major version older than the server
heuristic.
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
[...]
Post by Scott Harvanek
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Scenario-
Post by Atin Mukherjee
the 3.6.3 bricks? - Currently - operating-version=30603 by default.
--
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Niels de Vos
2015-07-01 21:02:53 UTC
Post by Scott Harvanek
I would if I could but modifying the RHEVH instances seems like a bad
idea....
Ah, if it is on the RHEV-H and not a RHEL-H (or however that is called)
you definitely are very restricted... Messing around with the op-version
is not really nice, but that might be the easiest approach indeed. Atin
surely is the one of the right guys to help out with that.

Fortunately, the next Red Hat Gluster Storage packages will be based on
glusterfs-3.7 with only minor (and compatible!) changes. This is
supposed to prevent difficulties like this that are caused by the RHGS
glusterfs-3.6 version.

Niels
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
[...]
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Scott Harvanek
2015-07-01 21:51:35 UTC
Well that's an interesting comment... Are you stating that if the server
is running 3.7.x, then these performance xlators I'm having issues with
where the client is 3.6.0 won't have said issues?

Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
I would if I could but modifying the RHEVH instances seems like a bad
idea....
Ah, if it is on the RHEV-H and not a RHEL-H (or however that is called)
you definitely are very restricted... Messing around with the op-version
is not really nice, but that might be the easiest approach indeed. Atin
surely is the one of the right guys to help out with that.
Fortunately, the next Red Hat Gluster Storage packages will be based on
glusterfs-3.7 with only minor (and compatible!) changes. This is
supposed to prevent difficulties like this that are caused by the RHGS
glusterfs-3.6 version.
Niels
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
[...]
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Niels de Vos
2015-07-01 22:19:18 UTC
Well that's an interesting comment... Are you stating that if the server is
running 3.7.x, then these performance xlators I'm having issues with where
the client is 3.6.0 won't have said issues?
No, sorry, that is not what I meant. The next versions of RHEL and RHEV-H
will have new versions of the glusterfs packages. Those packages will be
based on glusterfs-3.7 and will be compatible with the community 3.7
release. The new version of RHGS-3.1 (Everglades) is scheduled to be
released later this (northern hemisphere) summer.

When it is included in the next RHEV-H images/media, I do not know. I
think RHEV provides relatively regular updates though (but if you are a
RHEV user, you probably track that closer than me).

For now, the op-version hacking way is most likely what you need.

Niels
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
I would if I could but modifying the RHEVH instances seems like a bad
idea....
Ah, if it is on the RHEV-H and not a RHEL-H (or however that is called)
you definitely are very restricted... Messing around with the op-version
is not really nice, but that might be the easiest approach indeed. Atin
surely is the one of the right guys to help out with that.
Fortunately, the next Red Hat Gluster Storage packages will be based on
glusterfs-3.7 with only minor (and compatible!) changes. This is
supposed to prevent difficulties like this that are caused by the RHGS
glusterfs-3.6 version.
Niels
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
[...]
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Scott Harvanek
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Scott Harvanek
--
Scott H.
Scott Harvanek
2015-07-01 22:20:13 UTC
Roger that, thank you sir!

Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
I would if I could but modifying the RHEVH instances seems like a bad
idea....
Ah, if it is on the RHEV-H and not a RHEL-H (or however that is called)
you definitely are very restricted... Messing around with the op-version
is not really nice, but that might be the easiest approach indeed. Atin
surely is the one of the right guys to help out with that.
Fortunately, the next Red Hat Gluster Storage packages will be based on
glusterfs-3.7 with only minor (and compatible!) changes. This is
supposed to prevent difficulties like this that are caused by the RHGS
glusterfs-3.6 version.
Niels
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Scott Harvanek
[...]
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Login, LLC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
-Atin
Sent from one plus one
Post by Scott Harvanek
The only way to get them to match is to use redhat gluster storage where
you have RHEV hypervisors... which is a bit annoying.
Well if you are talking about rhs 3.6.0.53 as a client then definitely the
op version is not 30600 and also my question is why would you want to bump
down your server's cluster op version?
Post by Scott Harvanek
Scott H.
Post by Atin Mukherjee