CFP for Gluster Developer Summit
Vijay Bellur
2016-08-12 19:48:49 UTC
Hey All,

Gluster Developer Summit 2016 is fast approaching [1] on us. We are
looking to have talks and discussions related to the following themes in
the summit:

1. Gluster.Next - focusing on features shaping the future of Gluster

2. Experience - Description of real world experience and feedback from:
a> Devops and Users deploying Gluster in production
b> Developers integrating Gluster with other ecosystems

3. Use cases - focusing on key use cases that drive Gluster.today and
Gluster.Next

4. Stability & Performance - focusing on current improvements to reduce
our technical debt backlog

5. Process & infrastructure - focusing on improving current workflow,
infrastructure to make life easier for all of us!

If you have a talk/discussion proposal that can be part of these themes,
please send out your proposal(s) by replying to this thread. Please
clearly mention the theme for which your proposal is relevant when you
do so. We will be ending the CFP by 12 midnight PDT on August 31st, 2016.

If you have other topics that do not fit in the themes listed, please
feel free to propose and we might be able to accommodate some of them as
lightening talks or something similar.

Please do reach out to me or Amye if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Vijay

[1] https://www.gluster.org/events/summit2016/
Amye Scavarda
2016-08-12 22:15:12 UTC
Post by Vijay Bellur
[...]
Annoyingly enough, the Google Doc form won't let people outside of the
Google Apps domain view it, which is not going to be super helpful for
this.

I'll go ahead and close the Google form, send out the talks that have
already been added, and have the form link back to this mailing list post.
Thanks!

- amye
Amye Scavarda | ***@redhat.com | Gluster Community Lead
Aravinda
2016-08-23 10:25:59 UTC
Title: Events APIs for GlusterFS
Theme: Gluster.Next

With 3.9 release Gluster will have Events APIs support. Cluster events
will be pushed to registered Client applications in realtime.

I plan to cover the following,

- Introduction
- Demo
- List of supported Events
- How to consume Events - Example Events Client (CLI client and example
Web App)
- Future

regards
Aravinda
Pranith Kumar Karampuri
2016-08-23 12:40:55 UTC
For some reason Ravi's mail is not coming on the lists, not sure why. Here
is his mail:

Hello,

Here is a proposal I'd like to make.

Title: Throttling in gluster (https://github.com/gluster/gl
usterfs-specs/blob/master/accepted/throttling.md)
Theme: Performance and scalability.

The talk/ discussion will be focused on server side throttling of FOPS,
using a throttling translator. The primary consumer of this would be
self-heal traffic in AFR but can be extended to other clients as well.
I'm working on getting it working for AFR for the first cut so that the
multi-threaded self-heal (courtesy facebook) can be enabled without
consuming system resources too much possibly leading to client starvation.
I'm hoping to have some discussions around this to make it more generic and
see if it can be aligned with long term goals for QoS in gluster.

Thanks.
Ravi
Pranith
Aravinda
2016-08-23 15:39:46 UTC
Me and Kotresh would like to present the following topic

Title: The Quest for GFID to Path Conversion

Developer oriented topic to come up with the design for GFID to Path
conversion effectively without adding much overhead in I/O performance.

We plan to cover the following,

- Problem
- Existing solutions and disadvantageous
- Proposed solution
- Benchmark with and without this feature
- Open discussion about issues with the proposed solution

regards
Aravinda
Saravanakumar Arumugam
2016-08-31 09:50:15 UTC
Hi,

I 'd like to talk about:

Title : Gluster and Bareos Integration - Opensource Backup solution

Theme : Experience - Description of real world experience and feedback
from:
b> Developers integrating Gluster with
other ecosystems

Agenda Planned:
- Bareos Introduction
- Bareos integration with Glusterfs
- Leverage Glusterfs functionality for Bareos
- Demo on integrated solution

Thanks,
Saravana
Amye Scavarda
2016-08-12 22:16:45 UTC
Challenges with Gluster and Persistent Memory

A discussion of the difficulties posed by persistent memory with Gluster
and short and long term steps to address them.

Persistent memory will significantly improve storage performance. But these
benefits may be hard to realize in Gluster. Gains are mitigated from costly
network overhead and its deep software layer. It is also likely that the
high costs of persistent memory will limit deployments. This talk shall
discuss short and long term steps to take on those problems. Possible
strategies include better incorporating high speed networks such as
infiniband, client side caching of metadata, and centralizing DHT's
layouts. The talk will include discussion and results from a range of
experiments in software and hardware.

Presenters:
Dan Lambright, Rafi Parambil ***@redhat.com
Future Gluster Features
Amye Scavarda
2016-08-12 22:17:47 UTC
An Update on GlusterD-2.0
An update on what's been happening in GlusterD-2.0 since the last summit.

Discussion around GlusterD-2.0 was initially started at the last Gluster
Development summit. Since then we've had many followup discussions, and
officially started working on GD2. In this talk I'll be providing an update
on what has been done, what we're doing and what needs to be done.

Kaushal
***@gmail.com
Future Gluster Features
Amye Scavarda
2016-08-12 22:18:39 UTC
Demo : Quickly setup GlusterFS cluster
This demo will let you understand How to setup GlusterFS cluster and how to
exploit its features.

GlusterFS is a scalable network filesystem. Using commodity hardware, you
can create large, distributed storage solutions for media streaming, data
analysis, and other data and bandwidth-intensive tasks. GlusterFS is free
and open source software.

This demo is intended for new user who is willing to setup glusterFS
cluster.

This demo will let you understand How to setup GlusterFS cluster and how to
exploit its features.

Scope of this session :

1) Install GlusterFS packages
2) Create a trusted storage pool
3) Create a GlusterFS volume
4) Access GlusterFS volume using various protocols
a) FUSE b) NFS c) CIFS d) NFS-ganesha
5) Using Snapshot
6) Creating geo-rep session
7) Adding/removing/replacing bricks
8) Bit-rot detection and correction

Bipin Kunal
***@redhat.com
User Perspectives
Amye Scavarda
2016-08-12 22:19:27 UTC
GlusterFS for Users
"GlusterFS for users" introduces you with GlusterFS, it's terminologies,
it's features and how to manage y GlusterFS cluster.

GlusterFS is a scalable network filesystem. Using commodity hardware, you
can create large, distributed storage solutions for media streaming, data
analysis, and other data and bandwidth-intensive tasks. GlusterFS is free
and open source software.

This session is more intended for users/admins.
Scope of this session :

* What is Glusterfs
* Glusterfs terminologies
* Easy steps to get started with glusterfs
* Volume topologies
* Access protocols
* Various features from user perspective :
Replication, Data distribution, Geo-replication, Bit rot detection,
data tiering, Snapshot, Encryption, containerized glusterfs
* Various configuration files
* Various logs and it's location
* various custom profile for specific use-cases
* Collecting statedump and it's usage
* Few common problems like :
1) replacing a faulty brick
2) resolving split-brain
3) peer disconnect issue

Bipin Kunal
***@redhat.com
User Perspectives
Kaushal M

Amye Scavarda

Kaushal M
2016-08-16 13:53:11 UTC
Okay. Here's another proposal from me.

# GlusterFS Release process
An overview of the GlusterFS release process

The GlusterFS release process has been recently updated and been
documented for the first time. In this presentation, I'll be giving an
overview the whole release process including release types, release
schedules, patch acceptance criteria and the release procedure.

Kaushal
***@gmail.com
Process & Infrastructure
Prasanna Kalever
2016-08-16 18:29:42 UTC
Hey All,

Here is my topic to utter at gluster summit

Abstract:

Title: GLUSTER AS BLOCK STORE IN CONTAINERS

As we all know containers are stateless entities which are used to
deploy applications and hence need persistent storage to store
application data for availability across container incarnations.

Persistent storage in containers are of two types, shared and non-shared.

Shared storage:
Consider this as a volume/store where multiple Containers perform both
read and write operations on the same data. Useful for applications
like web servers that need to serve the same data from multiple
container instances.

Non Shared Storage:
Only a single container can perform write operations to this store at
a given time.

This presentation intend to show/discuss how gluster plays a role as a
nonshared block store in containers
Hence it indoctrinate the background to terminology (LIO, iSCSI,
tcmurunner, targetcli) and explains the solution achieving 'Block
store in Containers using gluster' followed by a demo.

Demo will showcase some basic (could be elaborated, based on the
audience) gluster setup, then show nodes initiating the iSCSI session,
attaches iSCSI target as block device and serve it to containers where
the application is running and requires persistent storage.

Will show the working demos about its integration with
* Docker
* Kubernetes
* OpenShift

Intention of this presentation is to get more feedback from people who
use similar solutions and also know potential risks for better
defence
While discussing TODO's (access locking, encryption, snapshots and
etc.) we could gather some education around.

Cheers,
--
Prasanna
Jeff Darcy
2016-08-22 11:45:49 UTC
Two proposals, both pretty developer-focused.

(1) Gluster: The Ugly Parts
Like any code base its size and age, Gluster has accumulated its share of dead, redundant, or simply inelegant code. This code makes us more vulnerable to bugs, and slows our entire development process for any feature. In this interactive discussion, we'll identify translators or other modules that can be removed or significantly streamlined, and develop a plan for doing so within the next year or so. Bring your favorite gripes and pet peeves (about the code).

(2) Gluster Debugging
Every developer has their own "bag of tricks" for debugging Gluster code - things to look for in logs, options to turn on, obscure test-script features, gdb macros, and so on. In this session we'll share many of these tricks, and hopefully collect more, along with a plan to document them so that newcomers can get up to speed more quickly.

I could extend #2 to cover more user/support level problem diagnosis, but I think I'd need a co-presenter for that because it's not an area in which I feel like an expert myself.
Pranith Kumar Karampuri
2016-08-22 14:22:48 UTC
Post by Jeff Darcy
[...]
I can help here. We can chat offline about what exactly you had in mind and
take it from there.
Pranith
Jonathan Holloway
2016-08-22 19:33:32 UTC
On Fri, Aug 12 , 2016 at 03:48:49PM -0400, Vijay Bellur wrote:
..
Post by Vijay Bellur
If you have a talk/discussion proposal that can be part of these themes,
please send out your proposal(s) by replying to this thread. Please clearly
mention the theme for which your proposal is relevant when you do so. We
will be ending the CFP by 12 midnight PDT on August 31st, 2016 .
I'm putting my name on Niels' request for a presenter on Practical Glusto Example here on the main thread to get it in the hat.

"Practical Glusto example
- show how to install Glusto and dependencies
- write a simple new test-case from scratch (copy/paste example?)
- run the new test-case (in the development environment?)"

I would classify the theme as "5. Process & infrastructure."

If there is additional interest in discussion on other specific features of Glusto, maybe also separate lightning talk(s) or similar?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Niels de Vos
2016-08-13 07:59:37 UTC
In addition to Vijays request to submit talks, I would like to see some
very specific topics presented/demo'd. Anyone attending the Summit and
willing to take these on is very much encouraged to do so. To do so,
topic.

If others would like to see other topics, please add them to the list.

Many thanks,
Niels

Practical Glusto example
- show how to install Glusto and dependencies
- write a simple new test-case from scratch (copy/paste example?)
- run the new test-case (in the development environment?)

Debugging (large) production deployments
- tools that can be used for debugging on non-development systems
- filtering logs and other data to identify problems
- coming up with the root cause of the problem
- reporting a useful bug so that developers can fix it

Making troubleshooting easier
- statedumps, how code tracks allocations, how to read the dumps
- io-stats, meta and other xlators
- useful, actionable log messages

Long-Term-Maintenance, Short-Term-Maintanance, releases and backports
- explanation of the new release schedule
- when/how are releases made, branching, stability phase etc...
- the kind of backports that are acceptible and safe for minor updates

Documentation update
- new Documentation Tooling based on ASCIIbinder
- how to migrate different documentation sites for many of the projects
- best location to report issues, submit fixes etc...
Mohammed Rafi K C
2016-08-13 20:01:58 UTC
Post by Niels de Vos
[...]
I was planning to give a talk on .meta directory and how that can be
used to debug a live file system. I could also talk about the statedump,
io-stats, etc.

Regards
Rafi KC
Niels de Vos
2016-08-13 21:28:46 UTC
Post by Mohammed Rafi K C
Post by Niels de Vos
[...]
Great, thanks! I guess Amye can mark this as a proposal :)

Niels
Kaushal M
Niels de Vos
2016-08-14 08:19:37 UTC
Post by Kaushal M
I was thinking of doing one on the changes to the release process. I will
do that now.
Thanks! Just send your proposal as a reply to the "CFP for Gluster
Developer Summit" thread. Make sure to keep the list on CC.

Niels
Post by Kaushal M
Amye Scavarda
2016-08-15 16:31:19 UTC
Hi all,
If we can keep this in the main thread as proposals finalize, I will be
able to track this.
http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2016-August/028002.html < --
main thread

I cannot guarantee that I will be able to track additional threads.
Thanks!
- amye
Post by Kaushal M
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Kaushal M
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Kaushal M
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Mohammed Rafi K C
Post by Niels de Vos
willing to take these on is very much encouraged to do so. To do
so,
Post by Kaushal M
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Mohammed Rafi K C
Post by Niels de Vos
of the
Post by Kaushal M
Post by Niels de Vos
Post by Kaushal M
Post by Niels de Vos
Jonathan Holloway
2016-08-16 02:13:37 UTC
In addition to Vijays request to submit talks, I would like to see some
very specific topics presented/demo'd. Anyone attending the Summit and
willing to take these on is very much encouraged to do so. To do so,
topic.
If others would like to see other topics, please add them to the list.
Many thanks,
Niels
Practical Glusto example
- show how to install Glusto and dependencies
- write a simple new test-case from scratch (copy/paste example?)
- run the new test-case (in the development environment?)
Hey Niels and Vijay,

I'm working out details, but put me down for a Practical Glusto demo.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Shyam
2016-08-23 18:08:34 UTC
Post by Niels de Vos
[...]
Squashing the above 2 topics and throwing in monitoring, I would even
propose a BoF, to understand what are the current challenges and
proposed/applied solutions to the problem of "monitoring and
troubleshooting distributed systems at scale" and specifically Gluster.

For example I have some thoughts on performance monitoring at scale,
that we need to improve in Gluster. Identifying more such problems would
enable Gluster to become more easier to manage and tune.

Another problem area is in the container world, where we possibly lose
some ability to influence/troubleshoot clients and hence we may need
alternative for the same (centralized logging? server side state dump
collection from clients? server side monitoring/collection of client
performance (and other) metrics? What else). This could also be factored
into the discussions.
Nigel Babu
2016-08-17 00:58:59 UTC
Post by Vijay Bellur
[...]
Here's my proposal:

Topic: State of the CI and future

It'll cover the following topics:
* Current state of our CI system.
* Planned improvements for the next year.
* A timboxed discussion about what needs to improve.

nigelb
Atin Mukherjee
2016-08-17 14:21:03 UTC
Here is one of the proposal from my end:

"Gluster maintainers responsibilities"
Theme - Process & Infrastructure

- Tracking incoming reviews and managing pending review backlogs with the
help of peer reviews/review marathon on a weekly basis

- Bug triaging & prioritization - Current form of community bugzilla
triaging is all about putting a keyword "triaged" and assigning the BZ to
right people and at most asking for further logs/information, while this
helps in the initial screening but maintainers need to further look into
them from their component and come up with a plan on "when to fix what"
sort of model for bug fix updates.

- Addressing community users issues on a regular basis (both over email &
IRC)

- Keeping a track on overall component health (cumulation of above three)

The key point to discuss with touching upon all the above points is how to
balance out all of these activities with the other commitments (mostly
development) you have for the project deliverables.
--Atin
Ravishankar N

Shyam
2016-08-23 17:10:44 UTC
Post by Atin Mukherjee
[...]
I would like to add "component dashboards and its possible uses", under
this topic if time permits.
Mohammed Rafi K C
2016-08-19 08:10:50 UTC
Hi All,

Here is my proposal

Tittle : Debugging a live gluster file system using .meta directory

Theme : Troubleshooting

Meta is a client side xlator which provide an interface similar to the
Linux procfs, for GlusterFS runtime and configuration.

The contents are provided using a virtual hidden directory called .meta
which is inside the root of GlusterFS mount.

Planning to cover the following topics:

* current state of meta xlators,

* Information's that can be fetched through .meta directory

* Debugging with .meta directory (for both developers and users)

* Enhancement planned for meta xlators

* Other troubleshooting options like statedump,io-stat, etc

Regards

Rafi KC
Humble Devassy Chirammal
2016-08-19 08:16:52 UTC
Title: Containers and Perisstent Storage for Containers.

Theme: Integration with emerging technologies.

I would like to cover below topics in this talk.

*) Brief Overview about containers.
*) Storage in containers
*) Persistent Storage for containers.
*) Storage hyperconvergence.

--Humble
Mohamed Ashiq Liyazudeen
2016-08-19 11:40:07 UTC
Hi,

I would like to be co-presenter for the talk(Containers and Persistent Storage for Containers).

--ashiq

Mohamed Ashiq.L
Humble Devassy Chirammal
2016-08-19 17:53:14 UTC
You are very welcome !

--Humble

2016-08-20 11:43:21 UTC
Proposals:
1) Design of glfstrace tool

What happens in a File operation has been a bit difficult to figure out
looking at the workload, so we need a tool similar to strace which shows
the fops that are being wound/unwound though the clients and servers. We
can use the eventing infra by Aravinda to get this information from both
clients and servers which would help in debugging.

May even show a demo if I find time to implement this :-).

2) Reducing negative lookups using hash of the files/bloom filters/cuckoo
filters

Poornima and I were discussing about how to reduce the number of lookups
that need to fail with ENOENT before a create/mknod/mkdir etc fops need to
come. We see that almost 40% of the workload was negative lookups for
small-file create workload. What we came up with is a translator which
starts tracking creation of files in a directory as soon as a directory is
created using that mount. For each creation inside this new directory it
marks the file name as used using hashtable or a filter(bloom/cuckoo). Now
if a lookup on a name that was never created in that directory comes, we
can give ENOENT directly from the client without doing a lookup on the
cluster. We will discuss how we will be using leases to make sure this
solution is accurate. We would also like to present/seek inputs about how
to extend it in future.

Pranith
Niels de Vos
2016-08-22 09:43:12 UTC
Post by Vijay Bellur
If you have a talk/discussion proposal that can be part of these themes,
please send out your proposal(s) by replying to this thread. Please clearly
mention the theme for which your proposal is relevant when you do so. We
will be ending the CFP by 12 midnight PDT on August 31st, 2016.
I'd like to propose a discussion, mainly to get opinions and ideas of
others about a design I'm thinking of applying for certain features.

Thanks,
Niels

Title:
Client initiated server-side processing - A.k.a. FOP-Bouncing

storage servers. One of these is server-sode-copy where a client wants
to copy a file from one Gluster volume to an other. It is inefficient to
read the file (transfer) to the client, and then write it to the server
again. It would be nice for a client to send the copy operation to one
of the storage servers and have the storage server take care of the
actual reading+writing of the data.

A possible way to accomplish this, is by using the upcall framework, and
have a special (per server) process listening for specific upcall
events. If a client sends the server-side-copy, the brick receiving it
can create an upcall event that is handled only by a server-side
process to offload the copy.

I might call this design FOP-Bouncing, unless someone comes up with a
more suitable name.
Krutika Dhananjay
2016-08-22 16:10:17 UTC
Here's one from me:

Sharding in GlusterFS - Past, Present and Future

I intend to cover the following in this talk:

* What sharding is, what are its benefits over striping and in general..
* Current design
* Use cases - VM image store/HC/ROBO
* Challenges - atomicity, synchronization across multiple clients,
performance etc
* Future directions - sharding for general purpose use-cases [WIP]
(optionally inter-op with other features like
file snapshots etc,
if I find time to think of some solution by
Oct).

-Krutika
Shreyas Siravara
2016-08-19 19:02:51 UTC
Here's my proposal:

Title: GFProxy: Scaling the GlusterFS FUSE Client
Theme: Experience / (Process & Infrastructure)

I plan to cover the following topics:

- Discuss the benefits of the FUSE client vs. NFS & how we use it @ Facebook today
- Discuss scalability challenges with the FUSE client, operational overhead, etc.
- Introduce GFProxy:
- Splitting the core parts of the fuse client (DHT + AFR) into a separate daemon, which effectively acts as a proxy between FUSE clients and bricks
- Managing failover in the GFProxy FUSE Client with the AHA (Advanced High Availability) xlator
- Current deployment & code status (hope to get this upstream soon!)
Post by Vijay Bellur
Hey All,
[...]
[1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gluster.org_events_summit2016_&d=CwICAg&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=N7LE2BKIHDDBvkYkakYthA&m=YY6RlpXtmezdNewpKyfYyGENFYgjRPKwC74nWCvnYpg&s=4R3BxJ2a-DiwEIMB2xOQMrKRlA7jw3cy7dYuz-uA6Eg&e= _______________________________________________
Gluster-devel mailing list
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gluster.org_mailman_listinfo_gluster-2Ddevel&d=CwICAg&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=N7LE2BKIHDDBvkYkakYthA&m=YY6RlpXtmezdNewpKyfYyGENFYgjRPKwC74nWCvnYpg&s=fkgZ0Bm8lrwHWwBw8PNpeCoEba4KZUyh7IpjBKZ3pqc&e=
Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar
2016-08-23 10:12:28 UTC
Hi,

We would like to propose the following talk.

Title: Gluster Geo-replication
Theme: Stability and Performance

We plan to cover the following things.
- Introduction
- New Features
- Stability and Usability Improvements
- Performance Improvements.
- Road-map

Thanks,
Kotresh HR and Aravinda VK

Michael Adam
2016-08-23 10:21:54 UTC
a second proposal:

topic: "Multi-Protocol support for Gluster"

Background:
Multi-Protocol support refers to the the idea of
accessing the same data with different access protocols,
in the gluster case, there are fuse, nfs, and smb.
This is a much-requested feature, which is currently
not supported.

Contents:
The purpose of this presentation is to explain the challenges
in general, and specific to Gluster, and to give an overview of
where we currently are.
Very big emphasis will be put onto the aspect of testing.

Presenter:
Michael Adam
***@samba.org / ***@redhat.com

Copresenter(s): Rajesh Joseph would be an ideal copresenter.
Alternatively, Poornima or R.Talur who have all been working
on the Gluster-underpinnings for multi-protocol.
Michael Adam
2016-08-23 10:11:21 UTC
I'd like to propose a general presentation about Samba
to increase the understanding of what Samba does and how
it does it.

working title: "Samba, alien imposer of strange workloads"

Items to be covered:

- samba in general: history and overview
- SMB: some details about the protocol
- layout of process model and async code in samba
- samba-clustering with ctdb
- samba<->gluster interaction (vfs module)

This would cover some basics of how to set up
samba on top of gluster, but the main focus would be
to increase the understanding of the interactions between
samba and its interaction with gluster for a developer,
specifically why Samba imposes so many notoriously hard workloads.

Michael Adam
Dan Lambright
2016-08-23 15:57:54 UTC
I posted this earlier to Amye's original google form.. not sure it got onto the discussion lists .. so reposting now..

Challenges with Gluster and Persistent Memory

A discussion of the difficulties posed by persistent memory with Gluster and some short and long term steps to address them.

Persistent memory will significantly improve storage performance. But these benefits may be hard to realize in Gluster. Gains are mitigated from costly network overhead and its deep software layer. It is also likely that the high costs of persistent memory will limit deployments. This talk shall discuss short and long term steps to take on those problems. Possible strategies include better incorporating high speed networks such as infiniband, client side caching of metadata, and centralizing DHT's layouts. Not to mention tiering. The talk will include discussion and results from a range of experiments in software and hardware.
Ravishankar N

Shyam
2016-08-23 17:59:01 UTC
Theme: Gluster.Next

Topic: "DHT2 - O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

An update on DHT2 design and it's progress, with the intention of
enabling discussions around the love or lack of the same, for the
proposed model.

Shyam
Susant Palai
2016-08-24 07:18:49 UTC
Topic: Lock migration and how it overcomes data inconsistency in glusterFS - design, status and roadmap
Theme: Stability
Abstract: Rebalance process in glusterFS currently doesn't retain posix locks
when it migrates files from source server to destination server.
This can lead to data inconsistency in the files owing to successful
writes by more than one client on a file incorrectly.
In this talk, I will present the design of lock migration, its status and how this
solves the problem of data inconsistency.
Thanks,
Susant Palai

knarra
2016-08-24 10:27:00 UTC
Hi All,

I would like to propose below talk under the theme "Process &
Infrastructure"

Title : Ovirt + Gluster

Ovirt is mainly a Virtualization management platform. It supports KVM
based viritualization capabilities.
Gluster managment integration with Ovirt gives a cool web UI for the
admin to manage the Gluster cluster.

Agenda:

1) Ovirt and its components.
2) How do one manage Gluster Cluster and perform various admin related
tasks like add/remove/replace brick, Creating Snapshots etc
3) Nagios integration
4) Ovirt and Gluster Hyperconvergence

Thanks
kasturi
Arthy Loganathan
2016-08-24 12:13:21 UTC
Hi,

I would like to propose below topic as a lightening talk.

Title: Data Logging to monitor Gluster Performance

Theme: Process and Infrastructure

To benchmark any software product, we often need to do performance
analysis of the system along with the product. I have written a tool
"System Monitor" to collect required data like CPU, memory usage and
load average periodically (with graphical representation) of any process
on a system. This data collected can help in analyzing the system &
product performance.

From this talk I would like to give an overview of this tool and
explain how it can be used to monitor Gluster performance.

Agenda:
- Overview of the tool and its usage
- Collecting the data in an excel sheet at regular intervals of time
- Plotting the graph with that data (in progress)
- a short demo

Thanks & Regards,

Arthy
Atin Mukherjee
2016-08-24 13:48:09 UTC
Post by Arthy Loganathan
Hi,
I would like to propose below topic as a lightening talk.
Title: Data Logging to monitor Gluster Performance
Theme: Process and Infrastructure
To benchmark any software product, we often need to do performance
analysis of the system along with the product. I have written a tool
"System Monitor" to collect required data like CPU, memory usage and load
average periodically (with graphical representation) of any process on a
system. This data collected can help in analyzing the system & product
performance.
A link to this project would definitely help here.
From this talk I would like to give an overview of this tool and explain
--Atin
Arthy Loganathan
2016-08-24 14:57:50 UTC
Post by Arthy Loganathan
Hi,
I would like to propose below topic as a lightening talk.
Title: Data Logging to monitor Gluster Performance
Theme: Process and Infrastructure
To benchmark any software product, we often need to do performance
analysis of the system along with the product. I have written a
tool "System Monitor" to collect required data like CPU, memory
usage and load average periodically (with graphical
representation) of any process on a system. This data collected
can help in analyzing the system & product performance.
A link to this project would definitely help here.
Hi Atin,

Here is the link to the project - https://github.com/aloganat/system_monitor

Thanks & Regards,
Arthy
From this talk I would like to give an overview of this tool and
--Atin
Raghavendra G
2016-08-29 06:44:26 UTC
Though its a bit late, here is one from me:

Topic: "DHT: current design, (dis)advantages, challenges - A perspective"

Agenda:

I'll try to address
* the why's, (dis)advantages of current design. As noted in the title, this
is my own perspective I've gathered while working on DHT. We don't have any
existing documentation for the motivations. The source has been bugs (huge
number of them :)), interaction with other people working on DHT and code
reading.
* Current work going on and a rough roadmap of what we'll be working on
during at least next few months.
* Going by the objectives of this talk, this might as well turn out to be a
discussion.

regards,
Post by Atin Mukherjee
Post by Arthy Loganathan
Hi,
I would like to propose below topic as a lightening talk.
Title: Data Logging to monitor Gluster Performance
Theme: Process and Infrastructure
To benchmark any software product, we often need to do performance
analysis of the system along with the product. I have written a tool
"System Monitor" to collect required data like CPU, memory usage and load
average periodically (with graphical representation) of any process on a
system. This data collected can help in analyzing the system & product
performance.
A link to this project would definitely help here.
Hi Atin,
Here is the link to the project - https://github.com/aloganat/
system_monitor
Thanks & Regards,
Arthy
From this talk I would like to give an overview of this tool and explain
Raghavendra G
Prashanth Pai
2016-08-29 13:54:53 UTC
Hi all,

Proposing the following:

Title: Object Storage with Gluster

Agenda
* Why object storage ?
* Swift API and Amazon S3 API
* Using swift to provide object interface to Gluster volume
* Object operations
* Demo

-Prashanth Pai

Arthy Loganathan

Arthy
Ivan Rossi
2016-08-26 16:55:48 UTC
If there is interest I may give a (short) talk

"the life of a consultant listed on gluster.org/support"

about the use cases that we met in the last two years.
Samikshan Bairagya
2016-08-31 06:13:34 UTC
Hi all,

I'd like to propose the following talk for Gluster Developer Summit 2016.

Title: How an external application looking to integrate with Gluster can
use the CLI to get the state of a cluster

Theme: Experience (Developers integrating Gluster with other ecosystems)

Gluster 3.9 will have a new CLI that can be used to get the local state
representation of a cluster. This can be used by external applications
(like storage managers) to get a representation of the entire state of a
cluster. I plan to talk about this during the summit and will cover the
following:

- Introduction
- List of data points covered in the state representation
- How to consume this CLI
- Discussion on what other data points might need to be added later on.
- Demo (External application representing the state of a cluster using
data obtained from the CLI)

Thanks and Regards,

Samikshan
Paul Cuzner
2016-08-31 07:12:50 UTC
Sounds great!

I had to knit together different cli commands in the past for 'gstatus' to
provide a view of the cluster - so this is a cool.

Would it be possible to add an example of the output to the RFE BZ* 1353156
* <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1353156>

*?*
Paul C
Samikshan Bairagya
2016-08-31 11:09:06 UTC
Post by Paul Cuzner
Sounds great!
I had to knit together different cli commands in the past for 'gstatus' to
provide a view of the cluster - so this is a cool.
Hi Paul,

Glad you found it interesting. I had checked gstatus a few months back
and yeah, I had noticed that you had to knit up different cli commands
together to arrive at a state representation for the cluster. This new
command kind of does the knitting up part but it still doesn't really
provide a global view of the cluster as gstatus currently does. This
command provides a view of the cluster as seen locally; and the external
application would need to collate all the data from all nodes to come up
with a complete view of the cluster state. During the talk my plan is to
highlight the possibilities that this command opens up while also
pointing out all the limitations of this command.
Post by Paul Cuzner
Would it be possible to add an example of the output to the RFE BZ* 1353156
* <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1353156>
Yes, I have attached a sample output to the BZ here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1353156#c19

Thanks and Regards,

Samikshan
Post by Paul Cuzner