A "Wizard" for Initial Gluster Configuration
Paul Cuzner
2013-10-10 00:08:32 UTC
Hi,

I'm writing a tool to simplify the initial configuration of a cluster, and it's now in a state that I find useful.

Obviously the code is on the forge and can be found at https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-deploy

If your interested in what it does, but don't have the time to look at the code I've uploaded a video to youtube

Feedback / ideas / code contributions - all welcome ;o)

Cheers,

Paul C
James
2013-10-10 15:04:32 UTC
Post by Paul Cuzner
Hi,
Hey there,
Post by Paul Cuzner
I'm writing a tool to simplify the initial configuration of a cluster, and it's now in a state that I find useful.
Cool...
Post by Paul Cuzner
Obviously the code is on the forge and can be found at https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-deploy
If your interested in what it does, but don't have the time to look at the code I've uploaded a video to youtube
http://youtu.be/UxyPLnlCdhA
I had a quick watch of this...
Post by Paul Cuzner
Feedback / ideas / code contributions - all welcome ;o)
I'm biased because I'm the puppet-gluster [1] author, and I think
puppet is the right tool for this type of thing. Having said that, the
advantages of my puppet tool include:

1) recovering from error conditions and continuing.
2) ability to change the configuration after initial setup.
3) ability to define the entire configuration up front.
4) no need to exchange ssh keys.
5) puppet-gluster installs packages and starts glusterd too. Also
manages firewall...
6) Future puppet-gluster features which I haven't released yet.

However your tool is quite pretty and offers a UI which puppet doesn't
provide. If you could be persuaded, one idea comes to mind: modify
your tool to run a light puppet server. Each client could have ssh
execute a puppet client.

Ultimately you would get the same effect with a temporary puppet
server. A permanent one would be preferable, but it would replace the
need to write the logic in python. You'd benefit from the extra
features that you can configure with puppet-gluster.

Either way, happy hacking!
Post by Paul Cuzner
Cheers,
Paul C
Cheers,
James
[1] https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster
Paul Cuzner
2013-10-10 20:59:46 UTC
Hi James,

You make some good points ;o)

At this stage, my plan is to add "create volume" functionality to complete the initial setup tasks and then look at next steps.

Looking at adopting puppet sounds like an interesting direction.

Cheers,

Paul C

James
2013-10-10 21:18:23 UTC
Post by Paul Cuzner
Hi James,
You make some good points ;o)
Thank you!
Post by Paul Cuzner
At this stage, my plan is to add "create volume" functionality to complete the initial setup tasks and then look at next steps.
Sounds good.
Post by Paul Cuzner
Looking at adopting puppet sounds like an interesting direction.
One use case I have in mind is giving users the tools (eg: sysadmins,
new/potential RedHat customers, etc...) to quickly and easily deploy a
gluster environment for initial testing. I know JMW had requested this
at some point.

I don't have plans for a GUI, but I think it would be cool if your GUI
wrapped my puppet code. That would save you maintaining the gluster
logic separately, and you'd gain my configuration management features.

If you want help hacking on this, let me know. I have some not yet
published patches that should help.
Post by Paul Cuzner
Cheers,
Paul C
Cheers,
James
Joe Julian
2013-10-10 21:43:32 UTC
If you used the gui to build json hiera data, that would be simple and
effective.

James just needs to document defining peers and volumes in hiera.
Post by James
Post by Paul Cuzner
Hi James,
You make some good points ;o)
Thank you!
Post by Paul Cuzner
Looking at adopting puppet sounds like an interesting direction.
One use case I have in mind is giving users the tools (eg: sysadmins,
new/potential RedHat customers, etc...) to quickly and easily deploy a
gluster environment for initial testing. I know JMW had requested this
at some point.
I don't have plans for a GUI, but I think it would be cool if your GUI
wrapped my puppet code. That would save you maintaining the gluster
logic separately, and you'd gain my configuration management features.
If you want help hacking on this, let me know. I have some not yet
published patches that should help.
Post by Paul Cuzner
Cheers,
Paul C
Cheers,
James
James
2013-10-11 03:08:45 UTC
Post by Joe Julian
If you used the gui to build json hiera data, that would be simple and
effective.
It's a good point! Actually...
Post by Joe Julian
James just needs to document defining peers and volumes in hiera.
Sorry that my documentation is weak...
Check out this patch!

I haven't "announced" this yet, but I've alluded to it a bit. There
are still quite a few pieces missing and maybe some changes to come,
but it's at least fair game for testing.

When adding the relevant patches, I hope I didn't mess up. I've tested
my staging tree, but not the current master as it is. :P

Long story short:
include ::gluster::simple

That's it, that's all.

https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster/blob/master/examples/gluster-simple-example.pp

More to come!
James
Post by Joe Julian
Post by James
Post by Paul Cuzner
Hi James,
You make some good points ;o)
Thank you!
Post by Paul Cuzner
Looking at adopting puppet sounds like an interesting direction.
One use case I have in mind is giving users the tools (eg: sysadmins,
new/potential RedHat customers, etc...) to quickly and easily deploy a
gluster environment for initial testing. I know JMW had requested this
at some point.
I don't have plans for a GUI, but I think it would be cool if your GUI
wrapped my puppet code. That would save you maintaining the gluster
logic separately, and you'd gain my configuration management features.
If you want help hacking on this, let me know. I have some not yet
published patches that should help.
Post by Paul Cuzner
Cheers,
Paul C
Cheers,
James
Nux!
2013-10-11 18:14:20 UTC
Post by Paul Cuzner
Hi,
I'm writing a tool to simplify the initial configuration of a
cluster, and it's now in a state that I find useful.
Obviously the code is on the forge and can be found at
https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-deploy
If your interested in what it does, but don't have the time to look
at the code I've uploaded a video to youtube
http://youtu.be/UxyPLnlCdhA
Impressive video, it looks very nice and I'm sure there are many "IT
managers" out there who would love this.
Good job!
Post by Paul Cuzner
Feedback / ideas / code contributions - all welcome ;o)
Please add at least some basic volume management support
(create/delete, acl). :)

Regards,
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro
Jay Vyas
2013-10-11 18:18:49 UTC
yeah this is a nice tool. i think developers could use it to,,,
You know what:, ive seen alot of incantations of this script:

https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-deploy/gluster-deploy/blobs/master/scripts/findDevs.py

I think it would be ideal to take your utilities and put them in a separate
project, thats maintained by the community -

gluster-dev-utils or something.

I like the idea of lower llevel bash/python APIs for managing gluster
setups, LVM, etc that hide the implementation.
https://forge.gluster.org/**gluster-deploy<https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-deploy>
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com
Paul Cuzner
2013-10-13 20:54:04 UTC
Hi,

Another good idea ;o)

I'll update the projects wiki to capture these ideas on the forge.

Cheers,

Paul C