[Gluster-users] Should I be using gluster 3 or gluster 4?
Jeevan Patnaik
2018-10-30 15:04:51 UTC
Hi All,

I see gluster 3 has reached end of life and gluster 5 has just been
introduced.

Is gluster 4.1.5 stable enough for production deployment? I see by default
gluster docs point to v3 only and there are no gluster docs for 4 or
5. Why so? And I'm mainly looking for a stable gluster tiering feature and
Kernek NFS support. I faced few issues with tiering in 3.14 and so thinking
if I should switch to 4.1.5, as it will be a production deployment.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jeevan.
Vlad Kopylov
Jeevan Patnaik
2018-10-31 06:53:47 UTC
Hi Vlad,

Can gluster 4.1.5 too be used for production? There's no documentation for
gluster 4.

Regards,
Jeevan.
Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
2018-10-31 12:01:01 UTC
Post by Jeevan Patnaik
Hi Vlad,
Can gluster 4.1.5 too be used for production? There's no documentation
for gluster 4.
The documentation for GlusterFS 4.x and 5 is about 99.99% the same as
GlusterFS 3.x.

That's not a reason not to use GlusterFS 4.x or GlusterFS 5 IMO.

(This is a community open source project. If you think there's something
missing, that's a good place to jump in and get involved.)
Post by Jeevan Patnaik
Regards,
Jeevan.
Kaleb
Jeevan Patnaik
2018-11-06 06:54:59 UTC
Hi Vlad,

I'm still confused of gluster releases. :(
Is 3.13 an official gluster release? It's not mentioned in
www.gluster.org/release-schedule

Which is more stable 3.13.2 or 3.12.6 or 4.1.5?

3.13.2 was released in Jan and no minor releases since then..So, I expect
it's a stable release. or maybe noone has used it enough to report bugs?

I understand we may see bugs even in the most stable version while using
it. I'm looking for a version thats safe to use with least chance of
corrupting or loosing our files.

I'm set to test 3.13.2 tiering feature, but have my thoughts about if
3.12.6 or 4.1.5 should be tested instead.

Regards,
Jeevan.

On Nov 4, 2018 5:11 AM, "Vlad Kopylov" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

If you doing replica - start with 5, run your load on it. You can always
fallback to 3.12 or 4. It is not like your files will be gone.
With distributed might be harder, files will still be on the bricks but you
will have to consolidate them or copy in to new volume after downgrade.
Documentation is all the same.

Jeevan Patnaik
2018-11-06 07:04:32 UTC

We are doing production deployment ande I have tested 3.12.4 and found okay
to proceed. But we have decided to use tiering feature at the last minute.
But something is not right or missing with tiering feature in 3.12.4 and
hence, I'm thinking of using higher versions which may have fixed bugs with
tiering. But we don't have enough time to test it completely for other
possible issues for production deployment. So, I'm checking for a safest
version with stable tiering feature.

Consolidating the files to a backup storage and restoring them is not
efficient or feasible option for us, as we have terabytes of small file
data which can take huge times..so, downgrading or upgrading is something
we can't do so often but only with a scheduled downtime. Hence, trying
version 5 and falling back is not preferred option for us.

Regards,
Jeevan.
Vlad Kopylov
2018-11-06 15:04:22 UTC
Tiering is working on 3.12.4
For the small file load it didn't work for us because of excessive attr
calls. After adding ssd tier all speeds for small file load doubled.
On small file load the bottle neck appears to be the network. Unless you
have 10G local cluster with RDMA you will probably get same results.

Just tune volume for small file access.

Hi,
Nithya Balachandran
2018-11-06 07:16:15 UTC
Post by Jeevan Patnaik
Hi Vlad,
I'm still confused of gluster releases. :(
Is 3.13 an official gluster release? It's not mentioned in
www.gluster.org/release-schedule
3.13 is EOL. It was a short term release.

Which is more stable 3.13.2 or 3.12.6 or 4.1.5?
3.12 is also EOL now that 5 is out.